The phrase “high tea” evokes a certain image of sophistication, class and refinement you don’t normally see anymore. Fine china, silver cutlery, lace tablecloths – it’s exactly these things that make high tea such alluring ideas for birthdays, special announcements, anniversaries, hens parties, or even simple get-togethers!
While high tea is great, traditionally, there isn’t that much in the way of variety. Scones, finger sandwiches and cakes alongside a brew of English Breakfast or Earl Grey… there’s nothing wrong with them, but what about putting a modern spin on a traditional style?
There’s a refreshing cool change in the air… and we’re not just talking about the beginning of autumn!
More and more Melburnians are breaking with tradition for their high tea. Here are just some of the more unique spins on high tea we’ve been loving recently!
Before you decide on a theme, decorations or even your menu, you’ll need to decide on a location. Luckily, we Aussies live in one of the most beautiful countries on the planet – why not put it to good use? If you have a garden, use it!
Encourage your friends to wear floral attire and bright, vivid colours to bring things back to nature.
For a more uniquely Aussie spin on the traditional high tea, consider decorating your table with some more exotic native plants. Why not line your table with banksia instead of the traditional daffodils?
And of course, you can’t forget the food! We recommend switching scones and sandwiches for something a bit more natural for your garden party:
- Fruit and cheese – bring a bit of rustic flavour to your high tea with seasonal fruits and the best cheeses
- Salad – a variety of salads are a great addition to any kind of menu
- Sushi – delicious and easy to eat – perfect for a high tea event!
- Drinks – stick with traditional tea or opt for hot apple cider or even an intimate coffee station
Fall down the rabbit hole
When it comes to tea parties, few are as iconic as the Mad Hatter’s tea party from Alice in Wonderland.
The Wonderland theme is the perfect excuse for you and your friends to play dress up. Dust off your most fabulous dress and tallest top hat and track down your old croquet set (lawn bowls are an acceptable substitute!)
And for ideas that’ll really make you feel like you’ve stumbled into Wonderland, these quirky food ideas will make your guests lose their heads:
- “Eat me” – consider attaching quirky labels to your food, drinks and bowls
- Mushrooms – if real mushrooms aren’t your thing, marshmallows and candy melts can be used as substitutes
Make some CUPcakes
– what cuter way to display and serve dessert than in teacups? Not only is it adorable, but it fits perfectly with the theme!
Cap off your day in Wonderland with something from our sinfully sweet dessert menu – we recommend our colourful eclair and macron collections!
Care for some canapes?
Some of our favourite canape packages include:
- The Cold Classic: choose from 6, or 8 pieces per person, and enjoy classic and beautifully presented cold canapes
- The SIgnature cocktail package – offering 6, 9, or 12 pieces, this pack is the perfect combination of hot and cold delights
- Canapes on the Grill: Bite-sized BBQ items combine the traditional nature of finger food with the Aussie staple: the barbeque.
Browse our full canape menus here.
Add some sparkling
Alcohol has a long and fascinating history stretching for thousands of years – it’s even changed the course of history on more than a handful of occasions.
History’s not the only thing a good glass of champagne can change. If you ask us, a glass of bubbly makes any occasion just that little bit more special!
Complement your canapes with a couple of glasses of your favourite champagne or wine.
Unique high tea ideas from Your Private Chef
Once the sole domain of the gentry and absolute upper-crust of society, modern interpretations of high tea have gone from stuffy to more elegant and casual… not to mention, fun!
With Your Private Chef, you won’t have to worry about your high tea being too generic. Let us take the work off your hands and ensure your high tea is a real crowd-pleaser!
After all, even the most unique high tea theme falls apart without fantastic food!
Need help with planning the nitty-gritty of your high tea? Click here for more of our tips.
No matter the occasion or theme, be sure to get in touch with our team of expert caterers.
Call us now on (03) 9018 9321 to start planning your high tea!