As soon as there’s the slightest hint of a winter chill, you’ll find Your Private Chef in the kitchen peeling apples for this homely apple crisp. Just the scent of the cinnamon, nutmeg and apples wafting through the house is enough to warm the soul. Serve it warm with a big dollup of cream or ice-cream (vanilla bean all the way!) and you’ll soon be wishing winter never ends.
To serve 8-10, you need:
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon kirsch (optional but we love it!)
3 ½ cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the over to 350°f
- Peel, core and slice the apples in thick slices. In a large bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice.
- In a small bowl, mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, kirsch and ½ cup of sugar. Add this sugar mixture to the apples and toss until completely coated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining sugar with the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a small well in the centre and crack the eggs into it.
- Here’s the good (but messy) bit – use your hands to mix the dry mixture and the eggs. This gives a better crumble consistency (we promise!).
- Pack a 9x13 inch pan with the apple mixture, ensuring it’s even. Sprinkle the crumble on top, again ensuring it’s even and completely covers the apples. Pour the melted butter onto this.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden.
- This is delicious served warm with cream or ice-cream. Yum!
Do you have a favourite winter recipe? We’d love to hear it!